First of all, much thanks to Nimi Popat of Hair Care Square for nominating my blog for a Liebster Award. “Liebster” is a German word that means “nicest” or “sweetest”. The Liebster Award is exchanged between blogs that have less than 200 followers as a way to promote networking and growth. I am thrilled to be a recipient and have this chance to share more about myself with the blogosphere.
The Liebster is, however, similar to a chain letter, and it’s a lot of work. But it does allow your readers and fellow bloggers to get to know you better. So while I’m going to do it and nominate a handful of blogs, feel free to skip the work and just be happy for the recognition. I won’t be offended if you’re the last link in the “chain.” :)
Liebster Award Rules
1. Thank the person who nominated and link back to their blog.
2. Display the Liebster Award on your blog.
3. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
4. Answer the 11 questions you were asked.
5. Nominate 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers for the award, by asking them 11 new questions (or having them answer the questions you were asked).
6. Make sure to let the bloggers know you’ve nominated them!
Eleven Random Facts about Me:
1. I despise water chestnuts. I know, they don’t really have any taste, but I swear it’s the texture. I just don’t like them at all.
2. I’m allergic to shrimp. Only shrimp, not any other shellfish. I developed this allergy as an adult after I’d already realized that I love shrimp. Drat.
3. I have zero programming knowledge, but I still root every android phone I’ve owned and install custom software. Why? To get rid of all that corporate bloatware and tweak the phone to maximize its performance. Yes, I do this for fun.
4. In the last two weeks I’ve decided to write a book. Well, maybe I’ll start with a novella rather than try to tackle an entire book with my first attempt. So far, I’m starting to develop characters and outline a plot, but I don’t yet know what shape it will take. I’m not entirely sure on the genre yet but I’m thinking romance.
5. I used to work as a Flight Controller for NASA. I worked on a couple of space shuttle missions before the shuttles were decommissioned.
6. I attended a small dinner party that was also attended by one of the astronauts who later died in the Columbia accident.
7. I’ve been on disability through my employer for severe depression for the last 16 months. I hope to be approved to return to work after Christmas.
8. I hate to cook but love to bake. This is extremely ironic because my husband is a Type 1 diabetic and avoids baked goods like the plague. So I rarely bake.
9. I have misophonia. Read about it here if you’re interested. I hate having it. In college, taking tests in a room full of other students was very difficult. But at the time, I didn’t know what was going on. I thought it was something everyone struggled with from time to time.
10. I wear glasses, but I don’t need to. My glasses have no correction. The lenses, however, are coated to reduce glare and UV, both of which can trigger migraines. Wearing glasses is one of many lifestyle changes I’ve made to cut down on the frequency of my migraines.
11. I drink more than a gallon of water every day.
Answers to my Nominator’s Eleven Questions:
1.What do you specially do on weekends?
Weekends are for fun time with my husband and kids. If I’m lucky, I might get to sleep in one of the days. Sunday we go to Church.
2.Have you ever thought of being full time blogger?
Yes, but it’s super tough to make an income from blogging. I’d love to do it, but it’s just not realisitic. Writing a book, however…
3.What is your favorite place to visit?
Anywhere that I can see my family. They all live 1000 miles away.
4.Homemade food or street food ?
Homemade, because street food is usually pretty unhealthy and loaded with ingredients that can cause migraines. Sigh. But it’s often so tasty.
5.What was your first thought when you woke up in this morning ?
Damn it’s early. But, yay!! Time for my vacation in California! Time to see my bestest friend, whom I haven’t seen for two years!
6.What cheers you up ?
Chocolate, dessert, good friends and good conversation, a cup of specialty coffee, an unexpected gift or random compliment on my writing. And hugs and kisses from my kids.
7.What do you order or not order at restaurant ?
Whatever doesn’t have nuts or any of the many other items on my migraine trigger list. I also avoid friend foods and of course shrimp. Usually there are only a few items left to choose from. I like to try new things, but it comes with a risk. My migraines are debilitating so… I often stick with the tried and true entrees that I know are safe.
8.What question do you hate to answer ?
Since my mental health crisis last year, I abhor the question “How are you doing?” I can’t give an acceptable answer yet, and I hate always saying that I’m “just OK” or “still have a ways to go.” I feel like a broken record.
9.Have you ever danced on stage?
Not sure what you mean by this, but no. Never have and never will. I don’t like being the center of attention, so dancing where everyone can see me simply isn’t going to happen.
10.What have you always wanted? Did you get it?
A family. A husband and kids. Yes, I have it.
11.How do you use your leisure time?
Wait, what leisure time? I have two kids! If I do have free time, I’m probably writing or updating my twitter or facebook accounts.
And (drumroll please) the Nominees are… (for some of you, I don’t know exactly how many followers you have, but picked you because I enjoy reading your blog)
Frankie Tells It Like It Is
Bisexual Love Advice
Sanity Not Included
Sarah Learns Life
I Need a New Shrink
Sunshine / Moonshine
The Life of a Bipolar Mom
Eleven questions for my Nominees:
1. Why do you blog and how did you get started?
2. How long have you been blogging? What accomplishments have you achieved so far?
3. What is your favorite place to visit?
4. What makes you happy?
5. What makes you lost it (angry)?
6. What question do you hate to answer?
7. What little white lies do you tell regularly?
8. What was/is your proudest moment?
9. What is your favorite blog post (on your own blog)?
10. What other hobbies do you have?
11. What is (or was) your “other” job or career?
Thank you all, and congratulations new award winners!